The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) is a U.S non-profit organization that was established to "help veterans and their families meet and overcome the challenges of blindness".
Services from BVA are available to all veterans who have become blind, either during or after active duty. The BVA has its headquarters in Washington, D.C. BVA is a 503(c)(3) registered nonprofit; for the 2008-2009 Fiscal year, BVA's income was $4.2 million.
The Mission of the BVA is:
- To promote the welfare of blinded veterans so that, notwithstanding their disabilities, they may take their rightful place in the community and work with their fellow citizens toward the creation of a peaceful world.
- To preserve and strengthen a spirit of fellowship among blinded veterans so that they may give mutual aid and assistance to one another.
- To maintain and extend the institution of American freedom and encourage loyalty to the Constitution and laws of the United States and of the states in which they reside.
The BVA was established in 1945, at the end of World War II, by young veterans who had lost their sight in combat and were recovering together at an Army hospital in Connecticut. In 1958, the BVA was chartered by the U.S. Congress (Title 36, Chapter 303) to "speak and write on behalf of blinded veterans in national legislative affairs". In addition to its legislative role, BVA has 52 regional groups that help veterans find services such educational services, counseling, peer support, and rehabilitation services. Currently, the BVA membership is about 11,000, but BVA services are available to any blinded veteran, regardless of membership status